Subject: PC Interrupts
From: Geoffrey J. Swenson
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 05:36:17 +0100

Having just upgraded my computer from a Classic 150
to a quite-fast AMD K6 233, (It's about 2x-3x faster)
I experienced the usual plug and pray nonsense, problems
with my modem (if the Zip-drive SCSI card was in the system) and so on.

I thought that it would be of interest to both the
Flash List and CDUG that the solution was NOT a new
SCSI card, but replacing the ISA Sound card I had in
my system with a PCI version. I suppose that a (more
than $100-buck) PCI scsi card would have worked also, but it seems a
waste for running just
a zip drive or a scanner.

It not only sounds a bit better (it has some 3-d effects that
improve the ambience and the perceived bass). And it cost only
$44 even with WA sales tax.

(and the old card was OK, it was a Turtle Beach), but I also have one
free interrupt (for com 1 & 3) that I didn't have before (my mouse
is now on the mouse port, IRQ 12).

So those of you wanting to add Wacom tablets may consider
this a good way to gain some reliability and extra interrupts.

This will be happening more with other devices for Wintel systems. PCI
is the way to go.

******
The mac people may find this a waste of time (and it really is, it
should be easier) but I've got a reliable and very fast system now.

--
Geoffrey J. Swenson
technoGRAPHIC Solutions