Subject: Re: FLASH: Could you help me make some noise?
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:54:54 +0100

hi Fred.

I see you haven't had a reply to this question yet. Perhaps because it
involves so much.

At 12:41 PM 4/27/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello!
>... However as you know just slapping
>the sound file into the level_0 movie is not a very good idea

This is not necessarily so. The main reason to use loadMovie is when there
is a great deal of content that the user can request in random order. If
everything will load in linear fashion, LoadMovie is just an authoring
convenience and a movie clip should work as well.

>Can you only compress the sound on export of movie? (in at 44 khz out at 11
>khz)

Dave Hollinden offered the following advice here awhile ago:

With the constraints that I work under (web content with hefty animation,
dialog and sound efects aimed at 28K modems), I export all of my dialog
files from Flash at 11KHz with the ADPCM set to 4 bits, or 3 bits if I can
get away with it. I initially try to make every sound effect file work at
5KHz and 2 bits to save on file size, and gradually increase individual
files up to 11Khz and 3 or 4 bits on a case by case basis when necessary,
with the occasional 22KHz file sneaking in if it's real short. Certain
types of sound files sound totally fine even when compressed all to hell,
like a 22KHz 2 bit mouse click or a 5Khz 2 bit head bonk or door slam.

The thing to remember is that Flash doesn't do a good job of changing the
sampling rate for you (it doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter for audio).
So it's not a good idea to import 44KHz files and then set them to 11KHz.
You should change the sampling rate to 11KHz in an audio application, and
then import them into Flash. Then test them at the lowest ADPCM bit level
on export that you can tolerate (To test, double click on the file in the
Library, set the export parameters, and click Test). It makes a way-big
difference in file size to optimize each sound file this way. It's the
same process you go through for a bitmaps (I think?) where you trim them to
just the right size before importing, and then can set the export JPEG
quality for each one individually if you need to.

For Flash movies, forget about all file types and compression types except
what Flash uses - WAV files on PC, AIFF on Mac, and ADPCM compression for
exporting. And as for bit depth, I always stay at 16 bits because I think
the ADPCM compression in Flash works best with 16 bit files. But I think
some people import 8 bit files and select "None" for the export compression
in the main Export dialog box for music files.

================================

>Is there a way to "cut" up a whole song to get the sample you are looking
>for, then erase the rest that you are not using for sake of memory? How you
>do dat?

Two ways: first, trim the source file using a sound editor (on PC, CoolEdit
is a good shareware program).
Second: in Flash, when you place the sound in a frame, you will be working
in the sound dialogue window of Frame Properties. There are two tiny
sliders that let you select the in- and out-edit points, which define which
part of the imported sound will be used. When looking at a sound clip
longer than a few seconds, you will have a tough time finding the right
edit points, but it's certainly one way to go, and the .swf will contain
only the portion actually used in the movie.

>I am setting up the site for my band and I want to synch 4 different song
>cuts to different parts of the movie. These "cuts" are encapsulated by 3
>different songs. As far as I understand, the optimal way to do this is to
>have each cut on a separate level to help with loading times and such.

Use LoadMovie if these songs can be called in random order before there's
enough time for all of them to load. You will need some clever diversions
for your audience because any long sound is going to take a long time to
load. If possible, have them load while a lot of other content is
presented up front. Another option would be to get one song preloaded, and
offer the other songs only after it has played.

I think you will find that to have acceptable quality for music, a sound
clip will take significantly longer to load than it takes to play. You may
want to consider an alternative, for example use RealAudio called by
GetUrl, if your server supports streaming RealAudio. Or look into QuickTime.

> Once thats
>done, should I load each song cut onto their own .swf file and then... um,
>where do i put the clips?
>On their own layer or level in the original movie?
>What command makes em' go? Load movie? Go to and Play?
>A tell target?

Would you be offended if I suggested you look at the manual first? This is
a big chunk of information to be asking for, and once you do more research
your questions will be a lot more managable.

>Whats the best way to synch the parts to the main movie?

If you're talking about tightly synching animation to sound, use Stream as
the sound's sync type. Be forewarned that even with lots of audio
compression (read: poor quality), the animation will have to be extremely
spare not to overload the bandwidth. When using sound set to Stream, Flash
drops animation frames if it needs to do so in order to keep up with the sound.

Marc Hoffman