Subject: RE: FLASH: Larry's site
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:12:23 +0100

At 02:19 AM 4/29/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Speaking of crowded libraries..is there any way to have folders within a
>library or to have a couple different ones FOR THE SAME MOVIE. I don't
>think this is possible but I thought I would give it a shot. If it is not
>possible it would be one of the best added features for flash 4 -library
>file system.

Yes, it would be helpful, David. But you can establish a naming convention
that will sort your symbols. David Gary suggested beginning all movie clip
names with mc, for example. For my own purposes, I sometimes want things
grouped by symbol type, but other times there's another grouping that may
make more sense. For example, if I have a lot of similar movie clips that
each tween a different text symbol, I might name the text "text01,"
"text02," "text03," and the movie clips "textmc01," "textmc02," etc. This
puts the two types near enough to one another, but separate enough that I
won't waste time opening a mc when I want a text symbol.

I feel that good planning in Flash should include a heirarchy of symbols
that are named systematically, not only for ease of finding them in the
library but also so that, months later, you can look at the library and get
a glimmer of the underlying structure. Frankly I'd rather scroll through a
single library than sift through multiple folders, just so long as the
library symbols are intelligently named. Using well-ordered, well-labeled
layers, frame labels, and frame comments are similarly important to the
Flash planning process.

Marc Hoffman