Subject: Re: FLASH: Salaries/Life choices
From: PamRecruit
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 05:17:24 +0100

Michael Dunn wrote:

<< Lotsa surf time, lotsa fun, good folks, good atmosphere,
40hrs or less, very understanding for time off.. that's more important than
cash and benefits. >>

Quality of life is something to keep in mind and unfortunately many people
don't. If someone is working all the time, when will they have the time to
enjoy the money they are making? Or have the time to spend it? Or have time
to spend with loved ones? Quality of work life is important too. If your
job allows you the ability to be creative, have fun and also sleep, life can
be good. Many people get caught up in work and forget about all else. Which
could be a big mistake. They also get trapped in jobs they hate.

Obviously, it is important to think about benefits and being able to provide
for your family. That's important. And it's important to give your kids
every opportunity to go to college and get a good education. But how many of
us really need to drive huge 4 wheel drive behemoths? Or get the latest and
greatest designer clothes for our kids? Or have huge monolithic homes with
cathedral ceilings--which we fondly refer to as people barns. (Those of you
in Los Angeles know what I'm talking about)

Think about what you want from your career and job and life. Here's a story
to think about-- have a good weekend!--
Pamela Thompson, Career Coach/Recruiter

Careering..

The American investment banker was at the pier of a small
coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one
fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large
yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on
the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch
them.

The Mexican replied, only a little while.

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and
catch more fish?

The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's
immediate needs.

The American then asked, "but what do you do with the rest
of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little,
play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria,
stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and
play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help
you. You should spend more time fishing and with the
proceeds, buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the
bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you
would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your
catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the
processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would
control the product, processing and distribution. You would
need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to
Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run
your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all
take?"

To which the American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then?"

The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When
the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your
company stock to the public and become very rich, you would
make millions."

"Millions.. Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small
coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a
little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife,
stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip
wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

flasher is generously supported by...