Subject: Re: FLASH: Copyright issues (OT?)
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:02:23 +0100

To me, this is not off topic. As someone also starting out in commercial
web services, I've considered offering two rates -- one for work that is
licensed (i.e., I retain the copyright and the purchaser has the right to
usage that is spelled out and may be limited in such ways as where it is
used and for how long), another rate that is work-for-hire (purchaser owns
the work and can use and sell it any way he or she pleases). This provides
a work-around for the issue of some clients having much smaller budgets
than others; it allows them to purchase your services while you retain the
right to recycle your work (or certain elements of your work). One thing
that IS essential is that you make the distinction in your contracts.

-Marc

At 07:49 AM 8/26/98 +1000, you wrote:

>David's comments in answer to another thread triggered something that I was
>meaning to ask earlier. What is the general feeling regarding copyright on
>sites. Do most of you retain ownership of the site or pass it over to your
>clients once completed. Do you separate the code from the content on this
>issue?...

>I apologise for the Off-topic nature of this post but I thought others may
>be interested in the answers it generates also.
>
>Cheers
>Rob Brewster

Marc Hoffman
<marchofatjps [dot] net (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net)>