Subject: Re: FLASH: flash loading
From: William Skyvington
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:06:46 +0100

Rick Turoczy kindly informed us that there is

> a detailed example that you can break and tweak at
>
> http://24.130.49.24/source/till_8_5_98/statusloader(f3).fla

When supplying URLs of this kind, it would be polite to point out that the
automatically-downloaded stuff is for Bill boxes. It would be better still
if Mac users were offered a corresponding URL.

It's funny to feel like a giant Dodo bird. A philanthropist with a lot of
money (Bill?) should put us surviving Mac users into cages and exhibit us
to school children before we become extinct.

By the way, can somebody tell me, in simple terms, why all the messages in
this list have the term "FLASH" in the subject header?

I remember a delightful cartoon (on the wall of one of the myriad
Dilbertian cubicles I've frequented during my professional existence) in
which the master of a suburban household, shown smiling idiotically with a
can of paint and a brush in his hand, has just dabbed crudely-painted names
on all the objects in his universe: "DOOR" on the door of his house, "TREE"
on an innocent willow in his garden, "CAR" on the family automobile, even
"DOG" on the back of the intrigued children's pet. No major object is
missing an identifier. And the caption (which I'm paraphrasing from memory)
translates the master's contentment: "THAT SHOULD PUT SOME CLARITY INTO OUR
EXISTENCE." The cubicle dweller in question was a celebrated Lisper who got
momentarily lost in Paris (Hi, Harley!), and the obsession with naming
things surely rang a bell in his MIT mind.

Dabbing the term "FLASH" on all the messages in this list certainly puts
some clarity into our existence.

William Skyvington vox: (33) 0476360762
Gamone fax: (33) 0476360482
38680 Choranche net: skyvingtonatdial [dot] oleane [dot] com
France http://worldserver.oleane.com/william