Subject: No Subject
From: christopher.j.trott
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 02:38:37 +0100

At 3:39 PM 8/24/99, Karin Christensen wrote:
> The person I am in contact with is asking the art director. All
> she could tell me is that they need 300 dpi and at least 3 inches
> in size. The final image is only going to be about an inch.

Hi there,

I think the first thing you need to establish is what file formats are
acceptable / readable to your printing company.
I have found most printer's like TIFF, but these days most good printers will be
able to handle a wide variety of formats.
My advice would be to not send the file as a jpg, as jpg is a lossy compression
that is best used for 'photorealistic' images. Considering that flash is vector
based, I imagine your image would have more block colour, in which case, you may
be better off using gif, or TIFF which have non-lossy run Length Encoding, this
will compress the file without losing quality.

My advice for exporting the image would be to set your movie options in the
"modify > movie (ctrl-M) " menu. change the "ruler units" to "inches. Change the
movie dimensions to 1"x1"
Scale your graphic to be the size of the movie screen at the frame you wish to
export.
Goto "File > export image.." and export as a gif (if you like) Ensure that the
resolution is 300dpi, and you will notice that the dimensions are 293x293
(slightly lower than it should be :-) Chose your colour depth (prolly the max)
and click "ok"

Fire up photoshop to check your image is correct.. load your gif. then go to
"image > image size" ensure that the "resample image" is NOT checked. if the
resolution is 72, change it to 300 dpi if you set your units to inches, you will
see that it is _slightly_ smaller than an inch (.997") , if this is ok (which it
prolly is) then save your image. Alternativly if you wish to make it _exactly_
one inch, you can click on the resample image and then adjust the pixel width
and height to "300" I do not recommend making this adjustment as it will scale
your image slightly. (which you prolly don't want to do :-)

You can then transfer it to your printer in the format of their choice !

Anyway I hope this helps..

Cheers from downunder..

Chris