Subject: FLASH: TTFN...
From: Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:12:57 +0100

[Not really Flash related; just FYI]

I need some time off, a little retreat -- and I suspect it's mutual
anyway, heh heh -- just a bit of time to regroup.

In the last few weeks I've raised no small amount of hell about an issue
that doesn't bear repeating, and frankly, I'm plumb wore out right now.

I have become deeply disenchanted in the process with decisions which I
perceive as having been driven by a completely different set of
priorities than my own.

That is not a judgment; it is a statement of my reasoning.

I believe that the folks at Macromedia are interested in selling
Director, which is fine, of course -- but that to some extent they want
users to become the vehicles of advertisement. That is not my job.

Unobtrusive logos on packaging are one thing, and I know that many
things in the last few weeks which have been discussed are going to
change. This does not however change the fact that decisions were made
which are at odds with my needs as a developer of
non-entertainment-related (or unentertaining, I suppose ;) content, and
that there's no reason to believe similar mistakes won't be made in the
future. One gadget more or less might not mean much to a gadget-freak
web surfer but there's no room for that kind of thing in a business
advertising -- or education, when you think about it -- world.

It is my belief that Director -- well, Shockwave in particular -- is
being promoted more from an entertainment-creation perspective, which
really is not in line with what I am doing. Therefore I need to back off
a bit.

Of the suggestions made that would have made this entertainment-based
packaging truth less obvious, the only one which would probably have
satisfied pretty much everyone -- that of breaking out the remote from
the SW7 base plugin -- has not been seriously discussed by anyone in a
position to actually do it, at least not that I have seen.

Please note that I am not abandoning Director, and that I am not taking
down the Director-related content on nightwares. But in my reevalutation
I have realized that for my health, at this time, I must focus on other
activities and other platforms for a while. Platforms which do not
impose logo requirements on me, platforms which do not end up getting
changed *radically* in terms of functionality -- without warning, to the
point that previously functioning routines are broken -- in every full
digit version update, platforms which don't attach irrelevant and
unaddressable software packages to required plugin content, platforms
designed by teams which do *not* disregard vehement protest from their
own beta testers.

I should point out that with a more open-communication policy with
developers as opposed to web surfers, this could have been one hundred
percent avoidable in the first place.

This is becoming a rant. That is how much of a sore spot this has become
for me. That is why I need to go away for a while.

For those of you who are interested in what I'll be doing, I'm going to
delve into some of the platforms I've mentioned earlier, MetaCard,
tcl/tk and python. Not a single one of them has Director's power, but
they are all extensible and all quite capable of interaction with each
other and with other applications, which makes them tolerable working
solutions for at least some of my requirements. Of course I have to put
in some serious hacking time with them to get to know them.

I'll be back eventually. But not to the degree you've seen, and not with
an exclusively-Director focus. I don't have the trust to be able to ever
do that again.

Till then, keep hackin' dat Lingo!

--
warren ockrassa | nightwares | warrenatnightwares [dot] com (mailto:warrenatnightwares [dot] com)
-- n i g h t w a r e s --