Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash 5 scripting?
From: Mike S
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:58:43 +0100

At 02:32 PM 8/4/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>From what I saw at FF2k, it looks like F5 scripting is basically JavaScript.
>Can any Flash5 users enlighten me if it would be a good idea for me to get a
>JavaScript book or go through the webmonkey tutorials so I can have a better
>grip on the new F5 scripting? Does the new scripting have the same JS
>functions, syntax etc?
>I just want to get a jump on this new stuff.

Familuarizing yourself with the syntax and conventions in JavaScript would
be a worth while use of your time. One importaint thing to remember once
you do get ahold of the final product is that Flash 5 has "ActionScript
with a JavaScript-like syntax", not JavaScript. As such you will run into
little nit-picky differences. You can still do all the really importaint
stuff like create functions, use local variables, access
math/time/string/etc functions. (See
www.onceuponatime.org/flash/SquarePusher.swf for an example)

There is still a "Point-and-click" action script interface for people who
find the raw editor too confusing. I suspect that as people become more
comfortable with the new syntax (my background is C++, I love it ;) that
they will eventually switch to the advanced mode.

--mikes

Michael S.
Sr. Software Engineer
Excite@Home