Subject: Re: FLASH: Opinions on Flash
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:26:01 +0100

I think the problem is that she doesn't know what Flash
is for, has never used it, has never compared file sizes,
and knows nothing about the ubiquity of the player. It
also seems that she has a lack of experience with
multimedia, particularly the interactive kind, and web-
development.

I'm not trying to say that she doesn't know anything about
3d animation, video, or photo-quality computer art, but
none of these things are the purpose of Flash. There are
just too many things wrong in her argument to even go into
them. She simply cannot have any experience with Flash
or web development, and doesn't understand the need for
interactivity and low-bandwidth animation.

There are some good arguments against using Flash,
but these aren't them.

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

> Hello! I'm pretty new to Flash and I've been lurking here, reading and
> trying to make sense of all the posts! :-) Anyway, a friend of mine
found
> out I was learning Flash and had this to say (which ticked me off):
>
> "First off I have to tell you....while Flash may be cool all the
> webmaster people I know hate it. It is major-league frowned on. Why? >
> My advice? STAY AWAY FROM FLASH unless you make it an OPTION. Make it a
> place where those with T1s and DSLs can go if they so choose but DO NOT
> make it part of your site without the option.
>
> TRUST ME!!! I get paid to do trendspotting and demography work. I KNOW
> THIS SHIT!!
>
> FLASH is BAD!!!
>
> I have 3 programs that cost less then Flash that make gorgeous animation
> and loads quicker then Flash and requires NO downloading....
>
> Read the info. You are bigtime missing out. FLASH is for idiots, Painter
> is for artists. Trust me, Rogue I TEACH THIS I know. Flash is like the
> Walmart of animation. IT SUCKS.

<snipped the rest>

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list