Subject: Re: FLASH: background music loop
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 01:23:50 GMT

At 04:51 PM 12/23/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Once this problem is solved, I can annouced the launching of my new flash
>site !!
>
>1. How should I create a looping background music

Hi Mingo.
using the looping of the MC to loop the music will not work smoothly.
Here's how to loop music smoothly and give the user the ability to turn it
on and off. If you build this as a MC, make sure it's in its own layer and
present the entire timeline. Or load it as an entire movie, on another level.

FIRST: create a button to associate with the particular sound loop, with
its up, over, release, and hit states. Exit the button editing window.

SECOND: create a symbol that's a movie clip. Give it three frames and
three layers.
In layer 1, place the button in frame one.
In layer 2, frame 1, place your sound. I start with it off, so frame one's
"properties" (under the "sound" tab) has the specific sound listed but Sync
is set to "Stop." Frame two's properties lists the sound, Sync is "event"
and Loops is set high (I use 999). Effect can be whatever you like. I
often create a fade in for the first second or two of the sound. (Note: to
change it so the sound is On by default, just swap the actions of the two
frames in this layer.) Frame 3 has no keyframe.
Layer 3 holds frame actions. Frame 1 says "Stop." Frame 2 says "Stop."
Frame 3 says "Go to Frame 1."
Now put the playback head over frame 1 and double click the button on the
stage. Assign it this action:
On (Release)
Go to Next Frame
End On
Exit the editing window. Place the clip you've just made anywhere on your
movie stage. It can even move around if you want it to. When the user
clicks on it, it will either start or stop the sound that has been placed
in it. It won't affect any other sounds.

NOTE: sometimes it's best to put a sound in its own movie, especially if
it's a large file size. In that case, just construct the above clip as a
separate movie and load it on top of your main movie.

Marc Hoffman