Subject: Re: FLASH: BMP or JPG
From: Byron Canfield
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:08:49 GMT

The only thing impacted through the import of original images with no
compression (BMPs, GIFs, or PNGs) is the size of the FLA file. If you
export using JPG compression, you can actually achieve better compression
than if the original imports are JPG files, as you eliminate the "double
compression" problem, where already compressed files no longer exhibit
large compressible ranges of color.

With the use of a significant number of bitmapped files, however, it is
generally recommended that you stick with a fixed movie size when deploying
your SWF in an HTML file (specific Width and Height settings), rather that
sizing to fit the browser window, as that resizing will generally impart
defects to the images.

Also, in general, the smaller you can compress the images (smaller numbers
for JPG compression quality), the smoother they will animate.

One trick you can use, though it increases the size of the exported SWF, is
to use an extremely compressed version of each image for any animation,
since image quality is less noticable in an image in motion, and then, when
the image "lands" in a position where its detail may come under scrutiny,
substitute a higher quality image, with compression (or none) manually
specified.