Subject: Re: FLASH: two mcs in a row.
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 01:33:11 GMT

Hi Alice,

> >This is quite true but generally it would be better to place all the
> >action in the Movie Clip.
> >If there is no action other than that in the Movie Clips then the two
> >Movie Clips can be placed on adjacent frames with a stop action in the
> >frame with the first Movie Clip.
> > Place a Tell Target in the last frame of the first Movie Clip.
>> Begin Tell Target Target: /
>> Go to Next Frame
>> End Tell Target
> OK scenario: One layer has labels (with mcs in them) 1, 2, 3, 4. The layer
> below this one has buttons in it: button a, b, and c. Button a has action
> to play label 1 and as soon as label 1 is done play label 2. Button b has
> an action to play label 1 and as soon as that's done play label 3. Button c
> has an action to play label 1 and as soon as that's done play label 4.
> How would I do that? It seems to me that your solution would only work with
> two labels and one button.
I don't see why you would think this. There is no practical limit to the
number of Movie Clips that can be chained in this mamor. (Flash limits
the number of frames to 16000).

> How do I reach the same result but with multiple
> buttons and labels???
There are actually quite a few ways to accomplish the task but I will
outline 2 basic ways.
One way is to have the button available all the time to advance to the
next step (MC) and secondly have the button only appear after the MC has
finished.
We use both ways in the sample Tutorial Score at
http://www.FlashBible.com/
The arrows at the bottom that skip to the next major step is the same as
the first way (Button always available). And the last button in each
Step is an example of the second way (Button available after Step (MC)
is finished.

With both of these basic methods we use Go to Next Frame instead of
Labels.
You need to make sure there is a stop action in the Last frame of the
Movie Clips if you want them to proceed only after the button is
clicked.

For the Button always senerio use a Go to next Frame Action.
Note the same button (followed by empty frames) can be used for all
4 frames.

For the Button at the end of a Step the easiest way is to put the button
in the last frame of the Movie Clip. Use the Tell Target with a Go to
Next Action as stated before.

Begin Tell Target Target: /
Go to Next Frame
End Tell Target