Subject: Re: FLASH: Scroll Box
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:57:21 GMT

Hi Jamie,

> I am new to all this and I was wondering is there an easy way to a
> scroll box that doesn't slow down my movie dramatically? I currently
> have a bunch of text scrolling up on a layer behind a mask with a
> window in it. Does this sound like I'm doing this okay or is there a
> way to incorparate java scripting.
Text in Flash is displayed graphically and is complicated. Moving a lot
of text in Flash therefore is quite processor intensive.
Generally use a simple sans serif font using the smallest masking area
that is possible.

It would be nice to move HTML text behind Flash using DHTML (on a lower
DHTML layer) but this is only possible with IE 4+ on Win 95/98/NT so far
because that is the only browser that the wmode transparent mode works
in so far. If you are designing for an IntraNet where you can require
users to use IE4 on fast computers using Win 95/98/NT then this could be
a very good solution.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/