Subject: RE: EMERGENCY: opening application form a URL
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:11:53 GMT

At 8:28 AM 2/26/98, Sendur Sellakumar wrote:
>But, previous versions of IE and Netscape have "instruction" set in their
>options to do certain things with files with extenstions(ie. .swf goes to
>shockwave flash). The same cause with EXE...the default setting of these
>browers is to download the files. Due to security restrictions, you can't
>just change the way the browser will handle the file.

I think you've hit on the core... the Microsoft browser, in particular, is
sometimes lambasted in the comp.infosystems.* newsgroups because it does
use the PC three-letter file extension to identify files, and what to do
with them.

Christian, I think that the ability to open a local application while
within some browsers is more an artifact of that browser, and could
conceivably change in the future. The Flash "getURL" command can be
overloaded to pass messages to the host's scripting language, but I don't
think that that intended purpose is within its scope.

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Search DIRECT-L: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/digest/
Online savvy: http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=netiquette