Subject: RE: FLASH: OT: Rates
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:17:21 GMT

>I'm still waiting to hear back from the Antitrust Division to tell me what
>is specifically illegal with regards to competitors discussing prices. If
>I have no luck there, I'll check with an antitrust lawyer :)

Is this *really* necessary?

>What happens when more and more of us base our rates on what is considered
>"the norm" for Flash development?

How else do we determine fair market value for our services other than "the
norm". A dart board? You can be sure that if I find out my peers are
getting on average 50% more for similar work than I am charging, I'll use
that information in my next negotiation. If it's less, and I'm not getting
contracts, at least I'll know why, and adjust accordingly.

And just what measuring stick do _you_ use to base your rates?

Just curious.

Fact is, we all "fix" our own rate, based on what we determine the average
is, and what we feel "we're" worth, and of course, how hungry we are for
the project. It serves no one to attempt to mystify rates, or hide the
fact that some talented folks are getting some fairly nice change for Flash
work. How else would the client know what's fair? Whatever he *feels*
like paying!?

If I state on this list that I feel professional Flash work is worth US$
X/hr., that is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it in a free society. No
one here is *bound* to follow my advice. And that is the key to the issue
you brought up. In actual price-fixing, the source is controlled by those
setting the price. This is not the case here. Developers are free to
charge what they want to, or whatever they can get. More power to 'em.

But you know, as important as rates are, they are only one piece of the
equation. I found the *actual contracts* of some major clients posted (and
rated!) on the web at the Artists Guild site very interesting reading.
Uhh, or is what the Artist Guild is doing "rights fixing"?

/w

Wayne Townsend
waynetattopher [dot] net
http://www.WebStaffing.Net