Subject: RE: FLASH: OT: Rates - my last post on this subject :)
From: Rey, Chrissy
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:54:26 GMT

Well it seems that no matter what I say or do, there will be those of you who don't care one way or the other, and there will be those who are intent upon proving me wrong without actually providing any evidence (other than opinion). So what if what you're doing might be illegal and prosecutable? Do as you wish, and pay the price if you must :)

I originally posted on this topic in response to someone that also posted that they understood discussion of rates to be illegal. Every source that I have located confirms this, and several professional organizations that I am a part of ban price discussions for this reason. As I've stated before, I am checking into this because I don't want any US Flash developers (or ANY Flash developers for that matter) to get screwed over because they don't understand the laws. And yes, it is *quite* necessary to confirm or refute this. Would you continue discussing your prices with competitors if you knew that the Department of Justice could sue you, jail you, and assist consumers with collecting damages from you for doing so? I sure wouldn't, but then again maybe you can afford to pay those fines.

I will not post any more on this subject, since the negative responses indicate that some folks out there just don't care about breaking this law. I do, but then again I work at the Department of Justice, and I could easily lose my job by breaking any laws. If you would care to learn the results of my research with the Antitrust Division, feel free to e-mail me directly and I will forward them to you when I get them. If I don't get the information from the DOJ today via e-mail, I might just walk over to the Antitrust office during lunch tomorrow. Then again, I might just move on and forget this whole thing, never discussing my rates with competitors for fear that I might be breaking the law... unless of course someone can provide me with clear and concrete evidence that tells me otherwise :)

Now, I want to get back to talking about Flash! :)

Chrissy Rey
Web Developer
United States Trustee Program
United States Dept. of Justice