Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Rates . . "billable" hours
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:10:01 GMT

Daniel Votino wrote:

> on billable hours:
>
> The work we have begun here in Flash is considered to be 70% billable.
>
> Will they bill for straight "time" or will they bill for how long it "should"
> take to complete it at a
> "billable hourly" rate? Ok . . . im rambling . . time to go home and go to
> bed.

Alright now we're getting into some professional discussion.
Great info Daniel. The fact of the matter is in my first reply to this post was
not a discussion on "fixed rate"
even though, unfortunately, some people saw it that way, but more along the
lines of discussing "how to"
set your rates. First of all the "price per frame" range I quoted from GAG was
_not_ for the clients benefit,
but in order to help the developer "set" his rate. You think the guys who
produce South Park's chessy "Paper cut"
animation charge any less per frame than the company that produces "Beast Wars"
3D animation.
Thats why you _charge what your worth_. If you have good concepts and good
animation/illustration skills or
have a small team or partner that does, then it will show in your work and you
can charge more than the former shoe salesman turned Multi-media artist.

This is how I personally set my studio rates.

1.Get a budget quote from the client. It is a waste of your and your client's
time to start to devise a project
plan without knowing what budget to stay within. Make you client understand
this.

2. Once you know the clients budget on the project and it meets with _your_
rate with their expectations
send a contract to the client that states your proceedures, what it will cost
upfront(concept, storyboard, streamlining existing brand identity, etc).

I give a narrow range of what the _WHOLE_ project will
cost the client and give them a ceiling that the price