Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Rates - my last post on this subject :)
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:43:08 GMT

"Rey, Chrissy" wrote:

> Well it seems that no matter what I say or do, there will be those of you who don't care one way or the other, and there will be those who are intent upon proving me wrong without actually providing any evidence (other than opinion). So what if what you're doing might be illegal and prosecutable? Do as you wish, and pay the price if you must :)

Chrissy, in your own words, your NOT a lawyer, so yes there are those of us. Also It is _not_ illegal to discuss general
industry practices and price ranges and I would would like to see a certified US goverment document that said so.

So far you have not provided one.

> I originally posted on this topic in response to someone that also posted that they understood discussion of rates to be illegal. Every source that I have located confirms this, and several professional organizations that I am a part of ban price discussions for this reason. As I've stated before, I am checking into this because I don't want any US Flash developers (or ANY Flash developers for that matter) to get screwed over because they don't understand the laws. And yes, it is *quite* necessary to confirm or refute this. Would you continue discussing your prices with competitors if you knew that the Department of Justice could sue you, jail you, and assist consumers with collecting damages from you for doing so? I sure wouldn't, but then again maybe you can afford to pay those fines.
>
> I will not post any more on this subject, since the negative responses indicate that some folks out there just don't care about breaking this law.

It seems your taking this personal and that your advice was unimportant. The fact of the matter is your giving legal advice
to something thats not illegal.

Some "food for thought", Burger King prices their Whopper to compete with the price of the Big Mac. McDonald's prices
their Big Mac to compete with the price of The Whooper. If Burger King's CEO states what he charges for his Whopper on an international forum he is not breaking the law. If he states what McDonald's charges for their Big Mac, he is not breaking the law.

If they both agree to charge the same price for their burgers then they are breaking the law.

I have not seen two or more developers on this list agreeing to any "fixed price" for Flash services.
If your opinion is influencing someone, you are not breaking the law.

Now if you dont mind, since Burger King's Whopper is no longer a dollar, Im running down to Mikey Ds for
their "2fer2".

-DG-