Subject: Re: AW: FLASH: OT: Rates
From: Wayne Townsend
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:40:17 GMT

>> The other day I did a presentation
>> for United
>> Drugs... a MASSIVE... I think fortune 500 company. You know who is in
>> charge of their web presence? Not the advertising
>> deparment... but the
>> Human Resource Director! GIMME A BREAK! Most companies just
>> don't take
>> this stuff seriously, and that's why the quality isn't there.
>
>"Hello, I'd like to talk to someone from the marketing dept."
>"Why?"
>"I'd like to talk about your internet presence"
>"Okay, I'll connect you to the technical staff"
>
>Happened about 30 times yet.
>
>Malte

Malte,

Your first mistake was in not doing your homework (who's who) and calling
the switchboard for direction.

This reminds me of a job I had in a previous life, working directly for the
national marketing dir of Eastman-Kodak, Interactive Sysytems.

The Marketing Directors carry a whole lot of weight at any major corp.
They are the *last* guys to get their budgets cut. These are *the* guys
you want to pitch to. If a Marketing Director want's something, they
usually get it. They're salesmen/women after all, and they always are on a
first name basis w/ the Pres., and for very good reasons.

Don't waste your time on folks like HR.

*Find a way*, somehow, to get to the top marketing people at any company.
These folks are *allways* on the lookout for something that will give them
an edge with their competition. That's their job, and the fortunes of any
company rides in the balance. Flash is an edge. Use it. But speak to the
right people.

25cents, pls. ;)

/w

Wayne Townsend