Subject: Re: [Re: FLASH: EPS, FH8, SWF and FLASH]
From: John Croteau
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:01:04 GMT

Hi Clayton,

> This is how I create the majority of my Flash objects since the percision of
> Freehand is somewhat better than the Flash drawing tools.
That actually is not true. Flash's tools are simple but you can create
exact dimensions etc. in Flash (see Inspector). Complicated objects may
be easier to create in Freehand, Illustrator or Corel but this should be
balanced with the optimization that should be done in Flash after
objects are imported. If you don't know the capabilities of the drawing
tools in Flash in many cases you will likely either create bloated
animations or spend much more time optimizing that it would have taken
to create in Flash. Please note just creating in Flash does not mean you
shouldn't optimize but it normally will be less needed and take less
time.

> My other option is simply doing every thing in Adobe Illustrator and importing
> the files as .ai, however I have some trouble bringing in the gradient fills.
Whenever possible gradient fills should be done in Flash where they are
near perfect and tiny. Illustrator gradients are huge and even when
imported into Flash are usually so bloated that they are of little use.
Unfortunately we have opnly a limited number of gradient options in
Flash.