Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash book
From: DragonFly
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:49:11 GMT

David Gary wrote:

> From my personal experience, I have about a grand worth of 3D and graphics
> books on my shelfs
> and 90% of them collect dust. Even though I dont discourage buying "how to"
> books, the only ones
> Ive personally found helpful are the ones that have plenty of tutorials. Step
> by step is the best way
> (for me) to learn quickly. I learned a great deal of 3D MAX this way. Also if
> there are hands on classes in the
> area, I will spend a couple hundred dollars to get hands on training a couple
> of nights.

A better way is to find and use tutorials published on CDs. For example, for $200
you can get 11 hours of relevant training (11 hours of tutorial movies), and you
can reuse the lessons time and time again. Check out http://www.webSavant.com ,
for example.

> I havent personally seen Ken's new book,

Book: archaic form of communication. Pre-Hypertext era.

> but I also dont know who Ken is. I think Ive seen him on the list a couple of
> times promoting his book. If Ken has some really killer Flash work and Im
> missing it let me know, but personally I wouldnt buy any book that didnt show me
> cuttin edge techniques.

This email list is plenty o' cuttin' edge for me.

> If your a beginner and this book has step by step tutorials then it might be
> worth a look. Recently, I found some of the new graphics magazines

Please provide names of mags and issue info.

> to have more 3D tutorials than most of my 3D 5inch $70 books.

As I've implied, books are static, though they needn't be. Consider Peachpit
Press' companion Web sites for some of their books (esp. QuickStart Guides (HTML,
Liz Castro), for example).

> Ive seen some great online tutorials, but you have to search through alot of
> crap first to find the good stuff.

Wouldn't have to if we (Erik?) amass a list, with comments.

> Sometimes its just more efficient to have a book in front of you.

But only for a coupla hours ...

Ken Sherwood