Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash book
From: Angelique Gulermovich Epstein
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:54:55 GMT

>Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:48:47 -0500
>From: DragonFly <uniqueatptd [dot] net>
>Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash book
>
>David Gary wrote:
>
>> From my personal experience, I have about a grand worth of 3D and graphics
>> books on my shelfs
>> and 90% of them collect dust. Even though I dont discourage buying "how to"
>> books, the only ones
>> Ive personally found helpful are the ones that have plenty of tutorials.
>>Step
>> by step is the best way
>> (for me) to learn quickly. I learned a great deal of 3D MAX this way.
>>Also if
>> there are hands on classes in the
>> area, I will spend a couple hundred dollars to get hands on training a
>>couple
>> of nights.
>
>A better way is to find and use tutorials published on CDs. For example,
>for $200
>you can get 11 hours of relevant training (11 hours of tutorial movies),
>and you
>can reuse the lessons time and time again. Check out
>http://www.webSavant.com ,
>for example.

But how helpful is this product for people who are currently web
professionals? From the table of contents, it looks like it would be great
for a novice, but there's an awful lot in there that nearly all of us are
already doing all the time.

How's the Flash part of WebSavant?

>> I havent personally seen Ken's new book,
>
>Book: archaic form of communication. Pre-Hypertext era.

Um, okay, I'm am old fuddy-duddy, but some of us really like treeware.
Online documentation is great when you're looking for something cutting
edge, but for basics, I'd just as soon devoted my screen real estate to
what I'm working on, with hardcopy reference. Operating under the
assumption that some people on the list like to have books, that it's a
convenience, the question tends to become: Does the new book include
material that isn't in the manual? How much? Does it do a better job of
explaning things than the manual does? The book isn't cheap, but if it
saves me time futzing around with stuff on my screen and online, it's worth
it.

Angel
Hvart ero that svic ein, er ec sia thicciomz,
etha ragna roc, rštha menn dauthir?

Is it dream-sight only my eyes behold,
Or Ragnarok, where dead men ride?

--Helgakvitha Hundingsbana II.40