Subject: Re: FLASH: Distinguish Flash 2 from 3 plugin?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:22:01 GMT

At 4:13 PM 2/10/99, Joe Crawford wrote:
> Is it possible? Everything I read says it's dubious. Anything clever?

Hi Joe -- The navigator.plugins array does have a slightly different name
for versions, and I'd defer to the older technotes and articles for details
(memory fuzzy today).

If a Flash 2 Player tries to render SWF 3.0 content, then there won't
necessarily be any kind of alert... the old player will skip any tags it
doesn't understand, and so the most frequent symptom is "blank screen".

If memory serves, the Flash 2 Player would process URL actions in frames,
and so we couldn't base a page-branching routine on a simple frame action.
It might be possible, though, to do it from a movie clip... just
blue-skying here, and I haven't tested this branching handling myself yet.

What is it that you're trying to accomplish. Perhaps there's a way to
finesse the problem...?

jd

Offlist email risks capture by the spam filters! I may not see your