Subject: Re: FLASH: 3d vector art
From: David Gary
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 01:50:37 GMT

Al Rosetti wrote:

> (I sent this once but it didn't get to the list.... no idea why)
>
> HOLY TOLEDO Dave...
>
> Thanks for the advice. I am personally STUNNED at the man hours it must
> have taken to do that matinee site. Oh MAN! It took me 100% of yesterday
> to learn everything I needed to know just to get a nice looking spinning
> cube without shading into a Flash movie. I figure it will take me another 5
> or 6 hours just to get it working in a first class manner.
>
> One question on Dimensions...
> When it exports gradients does it
> A) barf out one shape with a gradient fill

no, i wish.

> B) export a whole load of shapes with slightly different fills to give a
> gradient appearance
> ?

yes, after breaking apart it can break up into very small solid color blocks. If
you dont break apart completely
it will catagorize hundreds of symbols in your library for every block. If you
completely break apart
all hell breaks loose, you loose lines, Flash forms solid "ghost blocks, its a
mess.

However on one extrusion objects you can have fairly good luck. No lighting in
Dim3, keep the shadows off
off the object in DIm3 and the more solid the colors the less symbols Flash will
create and you can edit it much easier.

> I'm only refering to what it would do with tremendously simple shapes like
> squares, octagons, etc.

Yes you can have luck if you keep it basic.