Subject: Re: FLASH: E-mail attachments
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 03:22:10 GMT

Hi Jerry,

> OK folks, someone help me out here. I've posted to this list three
> times since I've joined. Twice now I've gotten a "warning" about
> sending attachments to the list. To the best of my knowledge these
> aren't coming from me, but can someone verify that?
Yes, your latest message has less than 900 bytes of plain text content
but has an additional 2.5K of rich text encoding. This is especially bad
for those on the Digest version of the List which see the attachments as
gibberrish in text form instead appearing as a link:
> Part 1.2 Type: application/ms-tnef Encoding: base64

> I've been on other mailing lists for over three years now and I've
> never ran into this problem. Are you getting attachments from me,
> and if so, what are they? Thanks!
Yes, Winmail.dat and APPLICATION/MS-TNEF (Microsoft Transport Neutral
Encapsulation Format) message parts are encoded in a proprietary format
only Microsoft Mail and Microsoft Exchange can read. The Rich Text
Format these send should normally be turned off when posting to a
mailing list.

See:
http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/director/direct-l/winmail.html
http://www.annoyances.org/win95/win95ann5.html#13