Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: industry standard, was Site Check.
From: David Gary
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:36:26 GMT

John Croteau wrote:

Hi all,

Since most people on this List have fast computers with large screens,
Graphic Cards that support high resolutions, lots of memory and
available hard disk space  should we assume others can easily afford
these things, too? If you start designing for a better resolution the
public WILL follow. I think not.

Well i was gona keep my big mouth shut on this one, but leave it to John to
screw that up<g>

I agree totally. No matter how bad we want people to view our work with the latest
and greatest equipment which some of it deserves, WE simply do not really drive this
industry. Its the viewers. We create a really cool effect or something new and the
first "spectator" of our work usually doesnt even notice "Oh is that that internet thingy"?
The only work that really stands out is noticed by either a developer or someone who
surfs the net alot and sees that Flash is a truely different "web" experience. These people
fall into a very, very small bracket. Also most professional developers here HAVE to develop
for a client who, in turn, wants his product or services to be accessable to the masses, period,
no matter how "Flashy",  musical or interactive a website is. Because of this we HAVE to
develop for, maybe not the lowest common denominator, but the fairly low common
denominator. Ive seen great flash sites that dont work with IE3.0.
Guess what, there are still millions using IE3.0

What are you gona tell your client when the CEO personally visits his website using IE3.0, because
WIN 95 is still on his office p133?

To think we are gona start some kind of  "revolution" on the internet to make people upgrade
is a waste of energy. Simply producing well developed Flash sites is the only way. When I mean
"well", I mean for "everyone" possible. Cross platforms have been a Web developer's nightmare since
the beginning and it still will be. Something we gotta face, period. However Flash CAN be developed
for the masses to a certain extent. I believe thats where we need to focus our attention.

An "intranet" might be exposed to a revolution, but the "Internet", noway, only evolution.

my 2 or 3 or..

-DG-