Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: industry standard, was Site Check.
From: Jefferis
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:21:34 GMT

Scott Wilkinson

>For example, one of Nielsen's predictions for the coming years is that
>portable, wireless access to the web will become more ubiquitous. No, it
>won't be mainstream, but the numbers of palmtops with wireless modems will
>grow. And therein lies a new and growing audience for websites that can be
>viewed on palmtops...meaning *very tiny* little screens! (Can you say
>40x340?) Point being that the trend is definitely not toward everyone on
>earth having a giant, cinematic display for their computers. 20 years from
>now everyone may be running around with hi-res palmtops and throw out their
>desktop machines! (Hell--look how popular Gigapets were---with about a 20x20
>pixel screen?)
>
>Here's the address:
>http://www.useit.com
>
>Scott

My response is "why?" The main reason I use the net and many people do
is for its visually based interactive content.

Now a second important use of the internet is as an inexpensive [aka
local call vs. long distance] means of information transfer for
companies, but I don't see this use as intrinsically visual at all. In
other words, when you are sending email, you aren't interested in surfing
and you don't use the graphics at all. Why would I want to squint to
look at a small piece of the pie? It is kind of like the palm television
sets... they are good for a pinch, but who would sit home for hours and
watch one from the couch? [BTW, I don't own a small TV either...]

Jeff

Peterson Sales
410 Woodland Ave.
Grove City, PA 16127-1824