Subject: RE: FLASH: Matt Powells and .swf file performance
From: Matthew Powell
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 00:42:07 GMT

Holy cow, two Matt Powells on one list. Is there room for the both of
us? ;)

Hi guys, I'm relatively new to flash and this list, so forgive me if
this is quite a FAQ.

I have written a couple of movies, and never really had any speed
probelms. However just recently I made a web page using flash which has
a couple of large text-only symbols (I made them symbols because I fade
them in and out in various ways).

Anyway, it all runs beautifully whilst in the flash editor. I enable
buttons and frame actions and it runs like a dream. 15fps hands down. As
soon as I 'Test Movie' or 'Export Movie' and run it in anything, the
scenes which involve movement of the large text symbols or any sort of
manipulation of them slows to about 1 fps!! Is this normal? I would have
thought that the compiled version of the movie should _increase_ in
speed if anything? Are the .swf players that much slower than the flash
editor?

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

--
"love is a device invented by bank managers to make us overdrawn"
- Arnold Rimmer

Matthew_Powellatoz [dot] sas [dot] com
Associate Consultant
SAS Institute Australia, Sydney