Subject: Re: Using Others' Artwork (was:FLASH: an email flame from hell WAS - FLASH: a mistake made a "newbie" NO...)
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 18:35:36 GMT

I don't usually find what I need in clip art collections (even thousands of
images are rarely enough to find just the right one) but it's important to
understand clip art and sound libraries are sold with various licenses for
re-use. Some, you can use on commercial projects however you like. Some
are more restricted. And I think all forbid you to resell the objects as
part of a collection for others to re-use.

I, too, have never ripped off anyone else's graphic for my own use, except
perhaps to play with an image at home and then send it to the trash. I
sometimes use others' bitmap images as the basis for hand tracing my own
vector drawings, but that creates a new work of art that is not a knock-off
of the original, and so it's not a copyright infringement.

-Marc

At 12:59 PM 2/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I haven't ever used anyone elses work or clip art. Starting out or not.
>Btw, clip art is one thing ( a commodity for sale) and a gif from the
>web is another. ( someone elses property.)
>
>Dorian
>
>THEDEATH77ataol [dot] com wrote:
>>
>> and who here hasnt used a clip art cd or a gif from the web during their
>> starting phases cut some slack

Marc Hoffman