Subject: FLASH: Achieving True Flash Enlightenment
From: Mike Grove
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 20:05:49 GMT

Hi, folks.....

I've been trying to come to grips with the concept of integrating Flash
into an existing web site. Do most of you use frames to accomplish this
task, placing the flash portion in one frame as a navigation tool used to
link to pages from the existing site in another frame? Is it better to
forget the old site and rebuild entirely in Flash? It seems to me that
using Flash to just do some nifty rollovers is kind of like threading a
needle with a sledge hammer since it's such a powerful tool.

For an example let's say the site contains a portfolio section of images.
Since bitmaps are kind of a no-no in Flash, would that part of the site be
better off as an old-fashioned .html page? I hope I'm making sense here.

I feel like I'm six years old again learning to ride my first two-wheel
bicycle and I'm...almost.....there....but I haven't quite grasped the
concept. I've learned quite a lot since we purchased the program and have a
pretty fair grip on the basics. The tutorials from some of you and
Macromedia have been very helpful and I'm at the stage where all the pieces
need to come together to transport me to "Flash Nirvana".

The manual only takes you so far and then it appears we must venture out on
our own, looking at other Flash sites, talking with each other on the list,
listening to other users' questions and discussions and possibly getting a
book on the subject. Am I on the right track here?

Thanks for all the nuggets of knowledge so far,

Mike Grove