Subject: FLASH: Tell Target Help
From: Jayma
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 01:11:50 GMT

Forgive me, but I am going crazy. Up to now, I have been able to do all
sorts of animations and actions with Flash, not using the Tell Target. I
just haven't gotten the logic of its purpose (where it differs from other
actions that seem to do the same thing). All of the instances I have heard
talk about regarding it so far, have been something I felt done easier with
the goto scene/frame label. But none seemed to be between different .swf
movies on different levels. If I missed something that has been already
posted, please forgive me. I have gone thru the past weeks of postings,
and didn't see anything that helped.

I think that what I need to do could be done with the Tell Target, but lord
help me, I just don't get it!

I have looked at several tutorials (none I could find had an example of
what I need done), and my manual (no help), and its just not sinking in (I
can be dense at times!)

What I am trying to do is to have the main movie load a second movie at
_level1... wait, I think I need to explain more...

I can get the movie to load via the load movie. It runs fine, and then I
have an action set at the end of the 2nd movie to unload the movie at
_level1 (in a sense, unloading itself, since it is the one contained at
_level1 according to the master movie.) That worked fine too, but when it
unloads, (by default?) it goes back to the frame of the master movie that
contains the load movie action (say frame 90). What I need to do is have
the master movie play, then on action, have the 2nd movie play, unload when
it gets to the last frame, then go back to frame 15 of the master movie. I
hope I have said enough to have you understand.

For weeks, I keep going back and retrying to "get" the Tell Target... I
have tried everything I can think of to try to figure this out before
bringing it to you. I am sorry for the "duh"! Thank you so much in
advance, for helping me with this.

Jayma