Subject: Re: FLASH: Achieving True Flash Enlightenment
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:45:43 GMT

Hi Karen,

>> (http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/how/expert/optimization.html):

> 1] So, according to this it is better to create many smaller files than one
> large one. Is this still the case even when preloading?
No, and in my opinion it never was. Splitting up files should be
normally done only if the files would be needed in a random-access
patern instead of in a preset order and only if quite large.

> 2] Also, if a sybol is downloaded from one movie, and is used again in
> another movie, does that mean the browser/flash knows it was already
> downloaded or will it download that symbol again?
No, symbols are not available on the free market though you can Tell
Target Movie Clips to use assets in another movie. See my post yesterday
on this.

> 3] If it knows it is already downloaded, then what happens if two different
> symbols have the same name?
Doesn't matter because thet are not shared.