Subject: Re: FLASH: touch my button, nooo..not the hand
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 19:54:03 GMT

At 11:49 PM 2/9/00 , you wrote:

>Does anybody know if it's possible to have a button that does not activate
>the hand icon (on a rollover).
>
>thanks, brody

John Croteau offered this advice quite awhile back. Unfortunately the
example cited is no longer on the ftp site (anybody know where to find
it?). I'm not sure what the implications are for the button functioning
correctly -- I assume it would still respond to mouse clicks.

> >I believe that ChickenPan2.fla which on the FC Anonymous FTP site shows
> >this.
> >If not let me know. It features the famous Flash Chicken.
> >ftp://206.107.180.51/PanScroll/
> So, ChickenPan2.fla hides the cursor by constantly replacing the button
> that the cursor passes over. Is that correct?
Yes, because of the loop Flash never has time to update the system
cursor information on the type of cursor needed.

Flash displays the new button and calculates what is in the position of
where the cursor is and what type it will be (i.e. button hand or
pointer) based on whether it is over a button or not and is about to
send the new cursor type info to the system but is interrupted by itself
to recalculate for new frame and position to see if it is over a button
or not. Therefore, because of the constant fast looping the cursor
update command is constantly being updated before it has the time needed
to send the current cursor display info to the system. The result is the
system's cursor never receives the data to display the cursor hand to
indicate that it is over the button. If you move quickly on and off the
buttons you can get the hand on when it shouldn't be.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...