Subject: Re: FLASH: Netscape 4.08 COMES WITH FLASH 3.0 Player?!!!!!!!!!!
From: Frederico
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 01:19:51 GMT

On 2/10/00 5:35 PM, unique via uniqueatptd [dot] net, said:

>WHY can't Macromedia get Netscape to put the Flash 4 plugin into the
>DL of Netscape's *current* stand-alone browser, Navigator 4.08?

Because Netscape is now wholly owned by AOL, and AOL only bought Netscape
so they could pretend to make their buddy, Bill, look good and not so
threatening in the DOJ antitrust trials. I also think they will
continue to supress and kill it in favor of Internet Explorer, which is
the engine they choose to use for AOL browsers.

Why make a competing product better or equal than your own? The whole
deal stinks, and everyone knows it. Even Windows users are suffering for
it. The open source project is the only thing they can't openly kill, but
it sure is being slowed by their actions.

The good news is that NN 4.0.8 is scriptable, and you can easily sniff
out the F3 plugin and help them install F4. It's also rarely used by most
novice Mac users, instead being chosen mostly by intermediate users not
afraid to update the various plugins.

the better news is that iCab appears rock solid, and Opera is really,
really looking good. A good number of Mac users sick of buggy,
feature-bloated and parity-poor browsers aren't going to mind spending
$30 for a decent engine; and both appear to handle Flash just fine.

Frederico

flasher is generously supported by...