Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Convincing people of Flash
From: John Brzys
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:48:21 GMT

> So I redesigned the corporate website on my own time, and without informing the company. They'd only just changed the site recently, and would not have gone for changing it again so soon. However, like most Irish companies, our website seems to be stuck in the early 90s.
>
> So I used Flash4 and the existing content to make it look more exciting. I showed it to the marketing manager, who spent most of the last month looking at our competitors' websites to see how we're doing.

I take it that your competition is not currently using flash to enhance their websites. It may be that your type of company may be better suited as a "brochure" type of web presence vs. an interactive flash presentation or better yet, a full blown asp web application.

> He took one look at it, and started talking rubbish about "bullet points" and animated gifs. He then alarmed me by showing some of his 'favourites' which consisted solely of the standard corporate fare (menu on the side, loads of text, links all over the place). I tried convincing him that an F4 demo would show us off a lot better, but he wasn't listening.
>
> How do I go about convincing someone that Flash is "where it's at", as opposed to a fly-by-night thing only geeks appreciate.
>
> Or am I wrong?

Prior to your next marketing meeting, take some time and build a list of links to some of the quality flashed websites currently on the web. then, when your group is gathered together, and it your time to present, take them on a flash tour. A large screen video projector, like in a board room, will grab their attention. (open with Balthaser.com) or something like that.

If you are currently not in a situation that allows you this type of opportunity and or input about your companies image, then I suggest that you start thinking about making a move to another company.

By the way, be careful how you use the word "Geek". Many of us "geeks" came from the creative side of the web.

jb - PhotoShop veteran and ASP Geek

flasher is generously supported by...