Subject: FLASH: Technote on nonjscript detection?
From: Jefferis
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:50:26 GMT

Technote 14086 at http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ad.fhtml
states that you can do a no detect Flash which will refresh to Flash, IF
the browser has flash abilities or to an alternative html if it doesn't.

I was wondering, the meta refresh in the example is only 10 secs. Is that
long enough for the flash to load and redirect to a flash site?

It also says that the Flash frame 2 Get Url should be followed by a Stop
command. But I am not sure why this would be necessary...

Also, will this work if they have Flash 3????

Jeff

>How to create no script detection for the Flash 4
Player

1
> Create a new Flash movie. 2
> In Modify > Movie set the movie's dimensions to 18px wide and
>18px high. This is the smallest a Flash movie can be. Since this movie's
>only function is to check for the presence of
>the Flash Player we want to keep it as small as possible. This SWF will be
>in the index.html page for the site. If the URL
>a browser is searching for is to a directory such as
>(http:www.my_site.com), not a particular html file
> (http://www.my_site.com/sniffer.html), it will launch the file in the
>root directory named "index.html." 3
> Make the movie two frames long, select frame 2, choose Modify >
>Frame. In the Frame Properties dialog box attach a Get URL action. In the
>URL field put the URL to the HTML page that will
>make up the real Flash site. Most importantly: put the URL in quotes and
>set the Get URL field to expression.
>

> 4Add another action to this list - Stop. Select OK.

5
Using the Flash 4 Publish feature create an
HTML file using the Flash 4 only (default) template. This will be the
index.html page for this Flash
site.

Creating a META refresh tag in a HTML document:
1
Open the index.html document in an editor such
as Macromedia's Dreamweaver.
2
In the <HEAD> tag of the HTML document create a
META refresh tag. This is a tag that tells the browser
to refresh to another URL after a set amount of
time. The tag syntax, <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
CONTENT="10; URL=alternative.html">, has two
parts that need to be set. The first is CONTENT which
determines how many seconds until the browser
refreshes, in this case it is set to 10 seconds. The
second part is the URL that it will refresh to,
in this case it is set to refresh to the HTML document
alternative.html. Only the file name is written
because the file resides in the same directory as
index.html. This is a relative path or it could
also be to an absolute path. An absolute path is the entire
path to a document. An example would be
http://www.my_site.com/alternative.html.
3
The next step is to make the page that the
refresh tag directs the browser to. This is the place that
tells the viewer that the browser needs to have
the Flash 4 Player in order to view the Flash content
on this site.
4
This page will have a link to the Macromedia
Flash Player download center:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=Shoc
kwaveFlash.
The Macromedia 'Get Flash' image for linking to
the download center can be downloaded from

http://www.macromedia.com/support/shockwave/info/linking/. This page
could also have a link to
an HTML alternative for the Flash site in
addition to the link to the Flash plug-in download center.

Note: On browsers that use the plug-in (Netscape and
Internet Explorer for Macintosh), the user may be given a dialog box
telling them that they
don't have the appropriate plug-in and asking if
they would like to view the plug-in directory. If they choose "View
plug-in directory," they will be
routed to the Macromedia Flash Player Download
Center. If they choose "Cancel," the META tag will refresh the page to
the alternative.html page. There
are many different versions of Web browsers. Each
one behave differently and can behave differently based on user settings
as well. The best advice is
to test early and test often on every possible
browser/platform combination.

Additional information
For additional information about Flash player
detection please refer to Using JavaScript to Detect for the Flash Player
or search the TechNotes using
the keyword 'detection'.

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Web Design and Marketing