Subject: RE: FLASH: OT Knowledge Base
From: Conlon, Matthew
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:11:34 GMT

My suggestion would be to concentrate on knowing enough of these technical
aspects that you can work with other people collaboratively. If you're a
good graphic designer, you can do that as your job producing the things and
pieces that a techie can make go-live. Concentrate on your art. Sure, make a
few interactive thingies to go in your portfolio, but I think you'd be
better off trading your art skill to someone with tech skills. Give them art
in exchange for interactivity. You get to learn a little about tech, they
get to learn a little about art, and you make a team (at least temporarily).

If you then get a 9-5 job, see where they're going with things on the
interactive side, and follow along. Make yourself useful, learn what you
can, and pretty soon you'll be swinging from the stars.

Spoken as a techie-type with a touch of art skill (sort of the other side of
the fence from where you are).