Subject: FLASH: Re: [flashpro] OT Knowledge Base
From: Matthew Cloner
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:08:57 GMT

Hi Michael,
Speaking of my own experience, I can only tell you that there is so much to
learn in this field that it can be very overwhelming at times. There is an actual
progression to learning all this stuff. I started with Adobe PageMill, began
learning some basic HTML, graduated to Dreamweaver, began learning how to use
JavaScript and Flash and also Director and Freehand. You can work in Flash before
learning actionscript. ASP, XML, Perl, C, DHTML are all languages and things you
should be learning along the way. There are so many great books and sites out there
that I wouldn't know where to begin; I can only mention a few of my favorites:

"Creating Killer Web Sites" (Second Edition) by David Siegel (great book!!!!)
"<deconstructing web graphics.2>" by Lynda Weinman & Jon Warren Lentz
"Secrets of Successful Web Sites" by David Siegel (another great book!)
"Designing with JavaScript" by Nick Heinle
"Flash 3!" by Darrel Plant (there is an updated version of this in Flash 4)
"Great Web Architecture" by Clay Andres (first rate book!!!)

You can go to Macromedia's website and check out their tech notes on Flash; it's
always a wonderful source. Also, their site of the day is a great inspiration. I
hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,

Matt Cloner
Hynomics Corporation
Kirkland, WA.

Michael Dunn wrote:

> Okay, here's something that I've been trying to figure out for some time now,
> maybe something that'll help newbies out there too.
>
> I'm relatively new to the whole interactive media world. I've dabbled in Flash
> (mostly basics, some tell target, fs commands, very little actionscripting); I
> took a basic HTML class two years ago and I'm currently taking a Director/Lingo
> class. I'm a full-time graphic designer and don't have the time/money/resources
> to take lots of classes and can only learn so much at a time. I'd really like to
> get into interactive design full-time, but there are so many options (flash,
> dreamweaver, director, javascript, ASP, HTML, DHTML, Generator, C, perl, CF...)
> where should I start? What is the most logical progression? Branden had said he
> knew javascript and applied that to actionscript, so maybe I should focus on
> javascript before venturing deeper into flash? See what I'm getting at?? My goal
> is to be able to get a job at a decent firm doing interactive work.
>
> Okay, in short: what is the logical progression of learning languages/programs
> for interactive/multimedia design? What are the best books/sites/resources for
> learning these skills? And what skills are most important/valuable when looking
> for a job?
>
> Thanks to all!!
>
> --
> Michael Dunn
> The Merica Agency
> v 702 947-7777
> f 702 386-9231
> digest archive: ftp://ftp.muinar.com/pub/flashpro/digest/
> +++ flash sounds: http://www.sounds.muinar.com/ +++

flasher is generously supported by...