Subject: Re: FLASH: FLASH Messing up people's computers?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:01:47 GMT

At 2:59 PM 2/16/0, Kyle Sandstrom wrote:
>I just finished a site for a client and he uploaded the site to an Apache
>server. I told him they needed to have their mime types set correctly before
>viewing it or it wouldn't work properly. Anyways the CEO went to the site,
>the popup screen came up saying to download Flash(since the MIME types
>weren't set up), and he downloaded something. Then he doesn't see anything
>on the site since I'm presuming the download didn't work and now he claims
>he can't see his NASDAQ site. Is this possible and only caused by not having
>the MIME types set up? This client is now convinced that Flash is going to
>crash everyone's machines and about 1% of all visitors will see the site.

Have him restart his computer.

Background: The server sends identifying MIME information about a download
so the browsers know which renderer to call. If special content is mis-sent
as the default text/html MIME type then the nature of the problem can vary
by machine. If they were sent to download something then this may or may
not be the correct action. It's better to fix the problem at the root -- by
identifying the special data on the server -- than to incur the problem and
then handle each of its subsequent manifestations.

For the client's concern about other people having the same experience,
then once you fully set up the page it won't be a problem, as shown by the
million+ successful new installations per day.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...