Subject: Re: FLASH: FLASH Messing up people's computers?
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:13:38 GMT

> At 2:59 PM 2/16/0, Kyle Sandstrom wrote:
>>I just finished a site for a client and he uploaded the site to an Apache
>>server. I told him they needed to have their mime types set correctly before
>>viewing it or it wouldn't work properly. Anyways the CEO went to the site,
>>the popup screen came up saying to download Flash(since the MIME types
>>weren't set up), and he downloaded something. Then he doesn't see anything
>>on the site since I'm presuming the download didn't work and now he claims
>>he can't see his NASDAQ site. Is this possible and only caused by not having
>>the MIME types set up? This client is now convinced that Flash is going to
>>crash everyone's machines and about 1% of all visitors will see the site.
>
> Have him restart his computer.
> For the client's concern about other people having the same experience,
> then once you fully set up the page it won't be a problem, as shown by the
> million+ successful new installations per day.

JSYK :) The nasdaq site (particularly the portion that you need a user id to
log into and get information from - not positive that's what he was
accessing, but sounds like it might be) uses flash. The site is probably
messed up because he messed up a plug-in he already has and uses. If flash
itself was a problem, he'd never have been able to access that to start with
;) (So many people don't even realize they already have the flash plug-in :)

Laura

flasher is generously supported by...