Subject: Re: FLASH: Wacom size
From: unique
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 03:21:47 GMT

Marc wrote:

>At 04:06 PM 2/16/00 , you wrote:
>
>>I'm new to this whole Wacom thing, never used one actually but am looking at
>>getting one. What are the benefits to getting the biggest pad you can
>>afford? I mean I understand you have more area to work with, but say for
>>instance 12"x12"...what can you do on it that you can't (or have a hard time
>>doing) on the 6"x8"? Would I have to drag over and scroll the page to get
>>more area or how does that work?
>>
>>TIA,
>>Tyson
>

>Ken's response is one I would second. Really think about where you'd
>put that 12x12 -- they're HUGE! The cartoonist James Thurber was
>legally blind and used to draw on wall-sized pieces of paper. But
>short of that, I cannot really see the need for so large a drawing
>surface. I have the 6x8 and it's quite large enough. I also have a
>3-1/2 x 5 and sometimes it's nice to draw that small. Regardless,
>you can set the tablet area to match the screen area. It even works
>with dual monitors. Newer Wacoms have a liftable transparency so you
>can slip a drawing underneath and trace it, so I suppose that's
>another advantage of the 12x12.

Why? An 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper fits on a 9x12, huh? Oh, I get it
... for those who might be opposed to tracing something *sideways*.

Well, now that I've brought it up, you *should* always trace
sideways! My Dad taught me this trick: if you're trying to duplicate
someone else's signature by tracing (for fun purposes only! :-) ),
turn it upside down (or sideways), BECAUSE, this way, you
short-circuit your own (muscle memory) habit patterns, and thus trace
more accurately. Same thinking applies here.

See, you got me started again.

>I just can't imagine using it.

It's the size of a Pizza Hut Big New Yorker pizza box!

I think it should come with retractable wheels on it. And a hydraulic
lift system.

>Also know that the resolution on a Wacom is a lot higher than a
>regular mouse, so you can get precision even on a smaller tablet. So
>I would base the size decision on how big you like to draw (hand
>movement),

Right, and consider that from this point of view:

If your total "live" area of your tablet is *smaller* (either by
buying a smaller tablet, or by remapping a larger one, as Marc
mentioned above), THEN, you can cover a *larger* area of your monitor
screen WITHIN the radius of the rotation of your hand *around your
wrist* as it is *resting* at the base of the tablet (thus giving more
stability and control to your pen placements).

>how much desk space you can spare, and your budget.

Regarding budget and computer purchases (Ken's Law):

"When in doubt, buy the more expensive one of the two [whatevers].
You'll outgrow even that, soon enough! :-)

HTH,

Ken Sherwood

--

"In particular, I was musing about where Flash would be in a couple
of years. Right now, it's been delivered to a vast number of

-- hwg-theory list contributor, 2000.02.12

flasher is generously supported by...