Subject: Re: FLASH: OT:Personal Web Server - SOLUTION !!!
From: mbain
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 06:25:38 GMT

PWS revisited...

Cheri, this rings a bell for you huh !!!

Myself and Cheri had this problem and this fixed the problem for us:

***
Who might have this problem
Systems running Windows 95 or Windows 98
equipped
with PWS 4.0 and accessing a database using ODBC.

There were no reports of this problem occuring
on
Windows NT.

What caused this
When Internet Explorer 5 was installed, it
updated
all ODBC DLLs as well as the ODBC Administration menu. When a ASP
script opens a database, it seemed to leave
threads
running in both the PWS and the operating system, causing the above
symptoms.

Several developers/acquaintances have also
reported
this problem, while others claim everything works fine. The following
solution should only be implemented if you are
experiencing this problem.

Solution

Find your PWS installation files (on the Win98
CD-Rom, D:\Add-ons\Pws)
Double-click (open) Odbc.cab
Select all the files, right-click then click
Extract

Extract the files to C:\Windows\System
In C:\Windows\System, delete the following
files:
odbccp32.dll and odbcint.dll
In C:\Windows\System, rename odbccp32.dll1 to
odbccp32.dll and rename odbcint.dll1 to odbcint.dll
Reboot your computer.
This extracts the original ODBC files and
overwrites
the faulty ones. There have been no problems with this solution although
it's
an unofficial fix.
The word from Redmond...
This problem is not discussed in the Microsoft
knowledgebase nor is it acknowled ged by Microsoft. An official solution or
fix
will
be posted here once it is released by
Microsoft.

Michael Bain - mbainatza [dot] ibm [dot] com
"(A)bort (R)etry (I)nfluence with large hammer"
IBM Global Services,Tel: 011 302 8391, Cel.Phn: 082 926 1856

"John Cocktosten" <jcocktostenathotmail [dot] com> on 02/16/2000 06:51:51 PM

Please respond to flasheratchinwag [dot] com