Subject: Re: FLASH: Sound settings boggling mind
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:43:58 GMT

Hi Jeff,

From what I've heard, if Flash3 is selected, MP3 compression is not used.
But your question has me wondering, too. The function of override is to
ignore individual settings for sounds (applied through the library list).
Have you looked at the Size Report to try to determine this? Use Generate
Size Report (an Export Movie option) and look at the report that's
generated. Toward the bottom of the report it indicates original and
exported sizes of sounds.

If you test this, please post your findings.

thanks,
Marc

At 12:12 PM 2/17/00 , you wrote:

>I've read the manual, and I am more confused than ever.
>When exporting a movie, the manual says to use ADPCM for things like
>button clicks and different settings for music, etc. Then it says that
>MP3 gives the smallest compression, and that if something is recorded at
>5 khz mono, it will not be raised to 22 khz even if you boost the output.
>Fine.
>
>Then the override settings are unclear... If you set Flash 3 or Flash 4,
>does the override automatically record all 5kz settings [in Flash 4] with
>MP3 compression, even if that makes it a bigger sound file?
>
>Jeff

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/portfolio>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...