Subject: Re: FLASH: RE: Mac vs PC... Get both! (cross platform results)
From: Frederico
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:09:44 GMT

On 2/18/00 11:39 AM, John Olson via john [dot] olsonatdomail [dot] maricopa [dot] edu, said:

>>I find that when Designers design on a Mac, most forget that everything is
>>much darker on a PC. Being mostly, on my PC I notice this a lot... Just
>>thought I'd point this out since most viewers (for better or worse) are on
>>PCs.
>
>The flip side is also true. I know some times when I am doing HTML,
>I make the type too small and when I test on our Macs.. yikes.. way
>too hard to read.

There are simple solutions for both platforms to prevent such viewing
errors.

For the Mac and dark colors, all the designer need do is use the Monitors
control panel and ColorSync to set one screen at a Windows Gamma rating.
This is why I drone on and on about multiple screens; I have one cheesy
15" screen, representing the quality of the bulk of consumer users, set
permanently at Windows specs, hosting VPC/Win95/NT for testing
appearances. The it is tested on a genuine Wintel on good and bad screens
before it is delivered.

Mac users, I'm not kidding, get multiple screens. You owe it to your
audience.

For the small font issues, the Wintel designer simply need to follow some
basic guidlines and, preferably, adopt style sheets that just erase the
problems.

Of course, that's why we all use Flash, because it is the great equalizer
in terms of appearance control, right?

Frederico

Shameless Plug: AV/DVD Multimedia PowerMac System for sale
<http://www.sciencequest.org/classifieds/rico_g3.html>

flasher is generously supported by...