Subject: Re: FLASH: ASP on server
From: DeJarnett, Gary
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:23:53 GMT

Hi Jason,

Well, due to machine problems, I’m behind on reading posts from this group,
but I’ve done a quick search and haven’t seen much response to your
question, so thought I’d respond just in case. I’ve been loading data from
our mainframe DB2 system into dynamic menus in Flash and thought of
something that might be your problem with non-local ASP pages and loading
your variables.

When you are loading the variables from your hard drive, it’s ok to refer to
the ASP page without the full path, i.e. “/varloader.asp”. When you are
referring to an ASP on the server though, you want to use the full path,
i.e. http://www.myserver.com/varloader.asp
<http://www.myserver.com/varloader.asp> .

Here’s how I do it: For all my ASP references I use a variable for the
server which is set up during my initialization routine. My load variables
statement then looks like this:

Load Variables (/:Server & "getEmpl.asp", "/Library", vars=POST)

This way, when I want to test the movie, I assign “/” to the server and it
looks in the local directory for the ASP page (non-local references are not
allowed during testing), but when I publish, I move the name of my server
(“http://www.myserver.edu/thisproject/
<http://www.myserver.edu/thisproject/> ”) to the /:Server variable.
Hopefully everyone will excuse me if this has already been answered. I’m
new to Flash, so this may not be the problem at all, but I wanted to throw
it out just in case. I don’t think I’ll get caught up on all the posts
before the weekend.
Hope this helps,
Gary (dejarnettatttu [dot] edu <dejarnettatttu [dot] edu (mailto:dejarnettatttu [dot] edu)> )