Subject: Re: OT: Grammar ? Was: Re: PLEASE KILL THIS THREAD - RE: FLASH:OT: Design computerconfiguration---under $3500.
From: unique
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:57:34 GMT

> >> Macromedia, has announced a Flash competitor. Will Macromedia
> >> survive? Will their vision and focus, so far unsullied [*sic*],
> >> survive?"
>
>btw... what is wrong with 'unsullied'?

Perhaps you are mistaken about the meaning of *sic*.

Here ya go, from http://www.dictionary.com :

---

*sic* (sik)
*adv.*

Thus; so. Used in written texts to indicate that a surprising or
paradoxical word, phrase, or fact is not a mistake and is to be read
as it stands.

---

In the case of my usage of the word, it says, in effect, "This is
correctly typed. The author actually intended to assert that
Macromedia's reputation is unsullied." The implication is that the
writer (me) deems the assertion to be a "a surprising or paradoxical
... phrase".

You probably got off track because you're used to seeing one
particular form of the usage of the term "*sic*" ... to indicate that
the original writer's misspelling or bad grammar *knowingly* has been
left intact by the editor. HTH.

>it's spelled right. Is it the context
>it's used in, or is there some objection to using the un- with sully (and
>tarnish) that I missed somehow? People do that all the time... (really
>curious since I can find both sully and tarnish in my dictionary, but
>neither unsullied nor untarnished - both of which are quite common).

Many dictionaries do NOT include every "un-" word ... they choose to
define the meaning of "un-" (go look, it's probably in yours), and
then assume that you know how to translate the meaning of "un-" when
you see it. HTH again.

Ken Sherwood

--

"In particular, I was musing about where Flash would be in a couple
of years. Right now, it's been delivered to a vast number of
Macromedia, has announced a Flash competitor. Will Macromedia
survive? Will their vision and focus, so far unsullied [*sic*],
survive?"

-- hwg-theory list contributor, 2000.02.12

flasher is generously supported by...