Subject: Re: Hey Macromedia! Re: FLASH: Printing from Flash
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:58:24 GMT

Brad Bechtel wrote:

> I couldn't get it to print from either Netscape
> >4.5 or IE 5.0 from WinNT with Flash 4.0.28. I downloaded the SDK files
> >and I *can* get it to print if I run the swf locally, but I published
> >and uploaded it to my website to test it, and it doesn't run there.
>
> What printer are you trying to use?
> What driver version do you have installed?
> Is it connected locally or through a network?
> Are you able to print graphics from other programs without a problem?
> If connected locally, does changing the printer cable make a difference?

Irrelevant, irrelevant, irrelevant. As I said in my post, I can (that's
*CAN*) print some of the things that use the Flash printer just fine.
(And for those that don't work, I never even get to a print dialog box,
so it ain't the printer that's broke!) I had trouble with 2 particular
examples:

One was the example which used to be posted at the main Flash print
page at macromedia.com (which apparently was pulled over the weekend,
maybe because it didn't work? ;-)) I couldn't get this to print in
either IE 5.0 or Netscape 4.5 (WinNT, Flash 4.0.28) from the macromedia
site. It displayed the "loading tech sheet" message and never came
back. Never printed, never stopped loading. I downloaded the print SDK
(from another page), published it and uploaded it to
http://i-technica.com/flash/ad_banner.html. When I try printing it from
Netscape, I get "A plug-in window--An error occurred during this
operation."

The other example is the HP example in your gallery. Same error in
Netscape, but I can print it from IE.

The other two things I tried from the MM print gallery (BMW
motorcycles, map.com) printed fine in both Netscape and IE, so I know it
can be done. I just want to know HOW? I'd either like a replacement
for the wait loop below (which is what seems to be causing the problem,
and which I snipped from Frame 3 of the actions layer in ad_banner.fla),
or a whole new .fla file to study!

If ((tech_sheet:movieloaded=false) and (GetProperty ("tech_sheet",
_framesloaded) = GetProperty ("tech_sheet", _totalframes)))
Set Variable: "movieloaded" = true
Go to and Play ("print")
End If

> Can you provide an URL for the test file that doesn't print from your web site, but does when selected locally?

Yes, if you'll provide me with a working fla in return! ;-)
It's http://i-technica.com/flash/ad_banner.html

> Brad
> Flash QA

Thanks,