Subject: FLASH: FAO: MACROMEDIA - Flash functionality hindered in Microsoft's future
From: Christian Cook
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:15:53 GMT

I take it from the non responses that no-one from MM has looked into
Microsoft's Digital Dashboards yet... ;) (Sorry, just blatant shallow bait
for a response.) Some of the simplest Flash functionality (Particularly
mailto: links) fail to function correctly in a Digital dashboard. From what
we are hearing from MS and from a lot of our clients, a lot of people are
going to be wanting Dashboards real soon and unless you want to get bogged
down in a lot of Javascript workarounds etc. (to reapply the lost
functionality) then you have to limit what you use Flash for. Which is a
shame, with all Flash 4's complex functionality, it's a pity to relegate it
to Flash 2 style 'navigation dressing and animated interactive logos.'

We did have a slick looking transparent bulletin board created entirely in
Flash that pulled out from the side of the interface using DHTML. We may
have had to drop it in favour of a bog standard ugly generic MS looking
board all for the fact that we can't get a mailto: link to fire up an email
window without launching a blank browser window too.

If anyone has even had the slightest experience with Dashboards, I'd be
interested to hear what your own findings were.

original post below.