Subject: RE: FLASH: whatever happened to the promissed SDK
From: Damian Morton
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 21:24:44 GMT

Dear John,

-- The SWF 3 file format was publicly documented quite a while ago. This is
true, however, I dont think anyone will argue that SWF 3 file format
specification was sufficient. It was missing large chunks and was patently
misleading and/or incorrect in many places. I have seen no effort on the
part of MM to correct these failings.

-- Since the release of the Flash 4 player, there have been no publicly
available documents from MM regarding its SWF 4 file format. I cant imagine
there not being some internal document which describes this format, nor why
this document couldnt be released under the policy of making Flash an "open
industry format". I think some explanation is in order.

-- Actually, the announcement describes the player sources as being freely
released under a zero-cost licence. I assume from your post that this player
source will only be released to a few selected partners. That would be a
shame. There have been many projects that have crossed my desk that would
have benefited from being able to extend the Flash player with new abilties.
In addition, "By making the Flash Player source freely available..." MM will
be kept honest, in that their ability to release a partial and/or incorrect
SWF 4 spec document will be kept in check. Will the cluster of developers
creating products that enhance and extend Flash have access to the player
source? Will other toolmakers have access to this player source? Will MM
allow and support the emergence of a marketplace for Flash tools?

>From the press release: "Moving to a free licensing model for the Flash
Player source is significant for both Macromedia and the industry," said Rob
Burgess, chairman and CEO of Macromedia. "... By making the Flash Player
source freely available and working closely with our partners such as @Home,
Real Networks, and Apple, we will make it easy for everyone to view
high-impact Flash interfaces, animations and interactive programming."

-- Hmm, yes the printing thing was released as an SDK. No, its not what I
was seeking and talking about.

-- There was also mention of an SDK for reading and writing SWF files. I
assume that will be released with the SWF 4 format? "soon"

I understand that MM has its strategic objectives, and the release or
non-release of this information and SDKs is entirely a business decision. I
took the "open industry format" announcement to be some kind of recognition
that a vibrant community of people and companies contributing tools,
techniques and enhancements to the Flash format can only advance the
interests of MM and Flash in general. I hope I wasnt wrong about this.